Based at the Workington Academy and The Whitehaven Academy sites.
Students must have achieved a grade 5 in GCSE Mathematics to study this course.
You will sit two exams.
- Paper 1- Covering Core skills – 1 hour 30 min
- Paper 2- Covering Critical Analysis of Data and Models – 1 hour 30 minutes
Mathematics is a key subject, looked upon favourably by all employers. This course in mathematics focuses on key applicable skills that can be used to support learning in a range of subjects, from science to business and geography to ICT.
The course allows opportunity to develop mathematical and statistical problem-solving skills, as well as evaluation and data analysis skills above the level reached at GCSE
The topics studied are broad in nature and are regularly explored through investigative methods.
- Analysis of data
- Collecting and sampling data
- Representing data numerically and diagrammatically
- Maths for Personal Finance
- Interest Rates, repayments and the cost of credit
- Graphical representation of finance data
- The Modelling Cycle
- Fermi Estimation
- Critical analysis of given data and models
- Presenting logical and reasoned arguments in context
- Communicating mathematical approaches and solutions
- Analysing Critically
- The normal distribution
- Probabilities and estimation
- Correlation and regression
GCSE Mathematics skills are built upon and extended to look at applications in the real world.
Maths is relevant to a wide range of careers, with Core Maths being a great foundation to careers in a wide variety of areas, including finance, science and data analysis.
Universities have listed the advantages of studying maths to level 3 for courses including; Architecture, Biosciences, Biomedical Sciences, Business and Management Degrees, Chemistry, Education, Psychology, Economics, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Politics, Sociology, Social Science, Sports Science and more.
For those considering a more vocational pathway, Core Mathematics is a valuable qualification to hold if considering apprenticeships in Engineering, or Business.