Based at the Workington Academy site.
- Either Grade 6 in Biology or Grade 6-6 in Combined Science
- Grade 6 in Mathematics
Biology involves the study of a wide range of exciting topics, ranging from molecular biology to the study of ecosystems and from microorganisms to mammoths. Biology is one of the most popular A Level subjects in the country, attracting students studying a wide range of other subjects.
Many of these students enjoy the subject so much they eventually choose a biologically related degree course. Others go on to careers in law, computing, accounting or teaching. So, whatever field you will eventually work in, you will find biology a very rewarding and challenging course which will develop many of the skills essential for a successful career.
- Biological molecules
- Organisms exchange substances with their environment
- Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
- Energy transfers in and between organisms (A-level only)
- Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments (A-level only)
- Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems (A-level only)
- The control of gene expression (A-level only)
A-level Biology is a great choice for people who want a career in health and clinical professions, including medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, physiotherapy, nursing and forensic science. Knowledge/skills developed:
- A critical awareness of current social and environmental issues and an understanding and respect for living things.
- Analytical, evaluative and synoptic skills.
- Practical skills, including the ability to plan and manipulate data.